Summer is the time to really make the most of your outdoor living space, so why not start creating your perfect garden now so that you can get the maximum enjoyment on the eagerly anticipated long summer days and alfresco evenings.
Award-winning housebuilder Crest Nicholson has teamed up with leading Landscape Gardeners Heritage Landscapes to share their top tips to help you achieve your garden utopia this summer.
1. Create a garden to suit your lifestyle.
If you lead a busy life and are looking for a garden that involves minimal effort, choose paving, decking or gravel spaces instead of a lawn which will require more regular maintenance. Select shrub and flower types that won’t grow too large and require regular pruning, such as Dwarf Hebes, so that you have more free time to enjoy your garden rather than maintain it.
2. Make your garden an extension of your home.
Visualise your garden as another room in your home, and choose furniture and décor to meet your needs. For example, if your garden is going to be host to summer BBQs with family and friends, make sure you have ample seating and perhaps outdoor lighting to take your party into dusk. If it’s going to be a tranquil area to enjoy the longer days, incorporate lounge furniture and maybe even a water feature.
3. Make the most of your garden space.
Less is more in small areas and it’s important to choose the right features to complement your cosy garden. If you’re worried about lack of space, why not plant a raised shrub around the outer areas of your garden to maximise the impact of the plants and flowers while creating an enclosed, private area.
4. Keep on-trend.
Make your neighbours jealous by having the most stylish garden in the area. Bold interlocking shapes have got everyone talking this season. Think ‘Tetris’ styles such as squares, rectangles and right angles in bold, clashing colours. Light grey paving is also on trend, complemented with darker charcoal paving edges. Planting structural plants such as Phormiums, Fatsia, Cordylines as well as some ornamental grasses are very en-vogue this season and will give a structured, architectural backdrop to your garden.
5. Say no to weeds.
Don’t let weeds ruin your beautiful garden this summer. A two inch deep layer of bark mulch on shrub boarders will keep weeds at bay as well as retain moisture so you won’t have to water the shrubs too often.
You can see some of Heritage Landscapes design flairs at Penarth Heights, one of the most enviable addresses in South Wales. Set high above Penarth Marina near Cardiff, this landmark collection of iconic new homes boasts striking architecture, expertly designed living spaces, and a prime position just a short walk from Penarth town centre and a short drive / train ride from the Welsh capital’s city centre.
Rebecca Gripton, Sales Manager at Crest Nicolson said: “Our homes and apartments in Penarth Heights provide great outdoor spaces for house-hunters to enjoy, and we’ve provided a little inspiration for getting the best out of your garden at our Verve show home. Visit the team now to see the stunning homes and gardens that could be yours!”
Prices at Penarth Heights using Help to Buy Wales currently start from £132,000 for a two bedroom Bayswater apartment and £216,000 for a three bedroom Verve house. Help to Buy Wales enables purchasers to own their own home for just 80 per cent of the purchase price. The remaining 20 per cent is lent to the purchaser by the Welsh Government through the HCA and is interest free for the first five years.
For more information about Penarth Heights visit the on-site Sales and Marketing Suite (open daily, 10am-5pm), call 02920 711357 or visit www.crestnicholson.com/penarthheights or www.facebook.com/CrestNicholsonSWWales.Back